started as a commercial village due to its strategic location between
commonly used transportation crossroads. The Langhorne community, to
be precise, started right where two Lenni-Lenape paths crossed, and
since then, has grown in prominence, overcoming different challenges
that arose since the 18th century.
By the 1720s, the Indian paths had developed and been renamed to
Bellevue and Maple avenues. It is during that time that English and
Dutch colonialists began settling on the north side of the
Joseph Richardson arrived, and by the 1730s, he had established a
store at the north-west side. By 1738, Richardson had erected his
house on the south-west side, which forced him to move his store to
the new location. The store acted as an inn for guests and investors
who decided to relocate to the town.
Click here for Langhorne PA Landscaping
Click here for Langhorne PA Hardscaping
The strategic location of Richardson's store, combined with the
traffic along the intersection, attracted settlers and small
businesses to the area, more so during the late 18th century to early
19th century. During the historic American revolution, the land in the
southeast Langhorne was recovered from Gilbert Hicks, a well-known
The recovered land was then divided into manageable small plots and
later renamed to 'Washington Village' in honor of George Washington.
Washington village was occupied by the end of the 18th century and
acted as a catalyst for growth in Langhorne. By the mid-nineteenth
century, several houses and businesses were set up along Maple and
By as early as 1760, businesses were set up in Langhorne to serve
travelers commuting between Trenton and Philadelphia. Langhorne acted
as an important location for people as they could buy foodstuffs
between travel and even sleep at the inns in preparation for travel
the next day.
Langhorne held its position as a leading travelers` stopover point
until 1870 when railroads became the principle and preferred mode of
transportation across Bucks County.
Langhorne as a Heritage Town
Did you know that Joseph Richardson's store was among the first stores
in Bucks county? Interestingly, no stores existed in Newton until late
1772. The rapid growth of Langhorne, mainly due to its strategic
location, established the town as an important center for farmers
residing between Hulmeville and Newtown.
By the 1870s, wealthy Philadelphia entrepreneurs had flocked the town
and set up large homes along the West Maple and South Bellevue
Langhorne played a vital part in American history as it acted as a
station in the railway that connected New York and Princeton. Until
1876, the land was known as Attleboro before it was renamed to
Langhorne, in honor of an early resident Chief-Justice of
Pennsylvania's Supreme Court.
There is a large farm in Langhorne Borough that was owned by Mr.
Edward Vogenberger and his wife until their death in early 1976. The
land is now owned by the Borough of Langhorne and is available for
community gatherings and garden plots.
A Revolutionary Cemetery is also located at Flowers Avenue and South
Bellevue Avenue in honor of American soldiers who lost their lives
during the Revolutionary war.
Langhorne PA Resources